The Government has announced new restrictions in England in response to an increase in the number of people testing positive for Coronavirus.
The new rules include:
- Office workers who can work from home should do so. In key public services – and in all professions where homeworking is not possible, such as construction or retail – people should continue to attend their workplaces.
- From Thursday all pubs, bars and restaurants must operate table-service only
- From Thursday all hospitality venues must close at 10pm
- Staff in retail, all users of taxis and private hire vehicles, and staff and customers in indoor hospitality (except when seated at a table to eat or drink.) must now wear a face covering.
- In retail, leisure, tourism and other sectors, Covid-secure guidelines will become legal obligations, and businesses will be fined and could be closed if they breach these rules.
- From Monday, a maximum of 15 people will be able to attend wedding ceremonies and receptions – but, up to 30 can still attend a funeral.
- The rule of six extended to all adult indoor team sports.
- Business conferences, exhibitions and large sporting events will not now be reopening from 1 October
The Government has assured people that these measures have been carefully judged to achieve the maximum reduction in the R number with the minimum damage to lives and livelihoods.